Monday, June 1, 2015

March Upcountry by David Weber & John Ringo (Empire of Man Series, Book 1)

     You hear the phrase time and again... "Don't judge a book by its cover."

For years I've seen these books scattered around the house, with gradually migrating bookmarks in 'em... obviously much enjoyed by various family members... yet, I was never interested in picking up the first book and reading it. Why? The covers! I wasn't willing to take the actual story seriously because of the covers. I was turned off before reading a single word. I know, I know: how silly of me... but it's true. The only reason I decided to finally read this book is because I'm planning to go to a convention which David Weber and John Ringo will both be attending. So, hey, might as well read SOMEthing by them before going, right?

Heh. I'm glad I finally gave it a chance. I enjoyed it, in spite of the high level of language and violence (what do you expect... it's a story about a company of Marines fighting their way across a planet full of barbarian hordes and all sorts of nasty creatures.)


Sgt. Julian has a close encounter with some yaden (a.k.a. giant vampire moths) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Prince Roger & Cord fighting back-to-back on the walls of Voitan
  His magazine clicked suddenly empty, and he tossed the rifle into "his" bunker and waded in with the katana as he had before. This battle was a complete madhouse, with dozens of screaming barbarians clambering over the parapets, their false-hands holding the ladders and both true-hands filled with weapons. Trading parries with a scummy who was better than usual, Roger found himself back-to-back with Cord and realized they were practically alone. ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Prince Roger dueling Kranolta barbarians

No comments:

Post a Comment