Wednesday, April 22, 2015

How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu

What an odd (yet amusing) little book. So many "Wha...? Okaaay, whatever" moments, but what do you expect, when the protagonist is a time machine repairman? Time travel does weird things to a person, y'know.




  When it happens, this is what happens: I shoot myself.
  Not, you know, my self self. I shoot my future self. He steps out of a time machine, introduces himself as Charles Yu. 
  What else am I supposed to do? I kill him. I kill my own future.





To give you another picture of the quirky meta thing that is this book, I leave you with this conversation:

Hello, whoever you are?
Still here.
You're retcon, right? This is the retcon shuttle.
You got it.
Can you pick up Ed for me?
Sure. Who's Ed?
My dog.
I don't have any record of a dog.
Technically, he didn't exist.
You have a retconned dog for a pet?
Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment